Figurative weights, birds, later period, around 1700-1900 (T. Garrard) - Good condition
Lot of 5 AKAN gold weights from Ghana (ASHANTI) and Ivory Coast (BAULE). Models from the later period (1700-1900).
Large, heavy weights are known as “king weights”.
Bronze miniature sculptures crafted following the cire perdue (lost-wax) method.
Patina of age with some shiny tones. Wear due to the use.
This lot is composed of 5 bird figurines.
1) Large rooster, nice details, minor casting flaw. 70 mm / 68,95 grams.
2) Little rooster with a large tail, nice details. 45 mm / 49,00 grams.
3) Elegant rooster, very fine details, a casting flaw on the foot. 55 mm / 33,00 grams.
4) Bird (sankofa) that is looking behind 52 mm / 50,10 grams.
5) A duck-like bird. 33 mm / 25,00 grams.
Together they weigh ca. 227 grams.
See: T.Garrard, Akan Weights and the Gold Trade; fig 50 birds etc. Late period (1700-1900).
See: Ch von Graffenried, Goldgewichte AKAN Goldweights, plates 44, 45, 46, 47.
Free shipment if sent as a letter via PostNL.
|Member since:||March 1, 2013|
You won't have to pay any shipping costs for this lot.
The seller will ship the item(s) within 3 working days after receiving confirmation of payment. Some sellers may offer the possibility of picking up items by arrangement.
You can pick up this lot from the seller: Amstelveen (North Holland), Netherlands.
Question about this lot?