First half 20e century - In good condition
Twelve very special pieces of ritual iron, which were used by a Binu priest. Most of these object are miniature objects which are often found in the caves along the Bandiagara escarpment. The longer three pieces have been used at the altar of the priest and during ceremonies used as staff by the priest. The bells at one staff were to awake the spirits and to start a dialogue. Two pieces are clearly presenting snakes; the ancestor Lébé Serou, the first mortal human being, who, in Dogon myth, was transformed into a snake. The iron armband and finger rings are typical attributes of the Binu priest and such attributes increased his position in the community.
- length and weight 3 longest items : longest staff 60 cm - 160 gram; abstract figure 35.5 cm - 75 gram, and with bells 32 cm - 180 gram
- length and weight 2 snakes : 17.5 cm and 35 gram and 7 cm and 155 gram
- other five items : between 9.5 cm and 14.5 cm and 21 gram and 154 gram
- bracelet : inner diameter 6.5 cm and 535 gram
- two finger rings : round: inner diameter 2.2 cm and 150 gram, pointed: inner diameter 1.8 cm and 75 gram.
- provenance : obtained in Sangha town (centre Dogon area) by present owner between 1972 - 2000
Shipment with Track and Trace and insured.
|Member since:||September 18, 2013|
Lovely items, always a great service..
The seller will ship the item(s) within 3 working days after receiving confirmation of payment.
Shipping costs are for mainland destinations only.
|United States||$ 46.97|
|United Kingdom||$ 29.36|
|Rest of Europe||$ 29.36|
|Anywhere else||$ 46.97|
Save shipping costs
You can pick up this lot from the seller: Oosthuizen (), Netherlands.
If you win more than one lot sold by the same seller in the same auction, your shipment will be combined. In this case, only the shipping costs of whichever lot has the highest shipping costs will be applied.
Question about this lot?