In excellent condition
Dish depicting in the centre the coat of arms of the city of Perugia, a gryphon*, and decorated with peacock feather eye pattern*.
* The gryphon, heraldic chimerical figure, emblem of ‘protection’ and ‘supervision’, as union between a dominant land animal - the lion - and the dominant sky animal - the eagle. It also symbolizes ‘perfection’ and ‘power’, in addition to the double nature - divine and earthly – of Jesus Christ. It is represented in the centre of the plate with lion's body, eagle's head and front paws, with claws, while the back ones are lion’s.
*The decor in peacock feather eye pattern - widespread in the central Italy in the 15th-century majolica – is of oriental origin, and is a symbol of ‘eternal life’ and ‘immortality of the soul’.
Dish with the typical shape of the ‘plate of parade’ It has a deep and wide fund, and a large lip. Resting on a ring foot, just replaced and, originally, drilled before baking to allow an easier exposure. The back of the plate has a weighted bistro glazing covering the entire surface. The shape is typical of the Deruta productions.
- Material: polychrome majolica
- Furnace: Deruta (Perugia)
- Condition: very good
- please note: a few flaws and wear
- Author: unknown
- Approximate dimensions: diameter 30 cm and height 5 cm
The seller will ship the item(s) within 3 working days after receiving confirmation of payment.
Shipping costs are for mainland destinations only.
|Rest of Europe||$46.63|
Save shipping costs
You can pick up this lot from the seller: Conegliano (Treviso), Italy.
If you win more than one lot sold by the same seller in the same auction, your shipment will be combined. In this case, only the shipping costs of whichever lot has the highest shipping costs will be applied.
Question about this lot?