Bibles, Biography, Collected works, History, Illustrated, Religion - Quantity: 1
|Number of Books:||1|
|Subject:||Bibles, Biography, Collected works, History, Illustrated, Religion|
|Author/ Illustrator:||Bartolomeo Platina / Onofrio Panvinio|
|Book Title:||Le Vite De' Pontefici / Cronologia Ecclesiastica|
|Publication year oldest item:||1703|
"LE VITE DE' PONTEFICI DEL PLATINA ET ALTRI" together with
"LA CRONOLOGIA ECCLESIASTICA DEL PANVINIO"
a total of 1196 pages in one volume printed in Venice in 1703 (the first one) and 1701 (the second one) by Antonio Bortoli.
Rare work illustrated by hundreds of woodcuts of the Pontiffs in the text
Large 4to (22.5 x 17 cm), coeval full parchment cover with handwritten title on the spine and +855++247 pages including:
- First title page with woodcut decoration of the first work published in Venice in 1703;
- Dedication of the printer Antonio Bortoli;
- Life of Platina;
- Indice De'Pontefici Romani, Delle Scisme et De'Concilii Generali;
- Tavola De'Pontefici;
- Nome, Cognomi,Patrie e Titoli di Tutti i Cardinali dal Principio della Lor Creatione sino ai Tempi Nostri;
- Tavola delle Cose più Notabili;
- Testo Corposo della Prima Opera da Gesù Christo Salvatore fino a Clemente XI (fin dove scrisse prima il Platina e poi continuate dal Panvinio);
- Second title page with woodcut decoration of the second work published in Venice in 1701;
- I Padri Pontefici e Re' del Testamento Vecchio;
- Testo con la Cronologia Ecclesiastica overo Fasti;
- Aggiunta del R.M.Bartolomeo Dionigi da Fano;
- Aggiunta del R.Don Lauro.
Signs of wear and small defect on the spine of the parchment cover. The work is in fair condition, also because the woodworm signs are particularly visible (see photos) on the external parts of the pages and touch the text only slightly at the top of the first title page and at the top of the very last pages of the second work, approx from page 205 to the end, without ever affecting the readability of the work itself.
There are also 2 missing pages (from 125 to 128 - see last photos), torn over time and defect with loss of text on the top outer corner of pages from 249 to 254 (see last photos), small and irrelevant tear at the top of page 281 as well as at the bottom of page 693 (see photos); cancelled ownership signature, stains and signs of wear, but still a monumental, unique work, hard to find complete with Platina’s work and his additions until 1701 as well as Panvinio’s wonderful Cronologia Ecclesiastica.
There is also my ownership stamp (see photo), as is the case for all works that are part of my personal collection, on the first blank page without affecting the work.
Bartolomeo Sacchi, known as Plàtina, was an Italian humanist and gastronome, and this work was one of the most reprinted ones between 1500s and 1700s; Onofrio Panvinio was one of the most important scholars of Roman history at the time and was also interested in Ecclesiastic history.
|Member since:||October 17, 2017|
Good communication and support, and prompt shipping. Very smooth transaction. Recommended seller.
venditore preciso,professionale,disponibile.tutto perfetto grazie
The seller will ship the item(s) within 3 working days after receiving confirmation of payment.
Shipping costs are for mainland destinations only.
|Rest of Europe||$47.51|
If you win more than one lot sold by the same seller in the same auction, your shipment will be combined. In this case, only the shipping costs of whichever lot has the highest shipping costs will be applied.